Thursday, January 21, 2016

Pretending to be a Movie Critic: Star Wars the Force Awakens

In a galaxy far far away...
If you are like me I'm sure you spent the weeks or days leading up to the new Star Wars re-watching the old ones. As I was re-watching I realized that I preferred the new trilogy to the original, I think maybe I'm biased because I grew up when these movies were coming out. But anyway, I have to say this movie was the. best. star. wars. movie. EVER. As much respect I have for George Lucas for creating this amazing world that is extremely timeless, the script and acting for this movie was the best one yet.

The story line was pretty similar to the other movies, almost like an updated version of the first ever Star Wars movie (episode 4), which was not something particularly innovative. However, they incorporate aspects from the original trilogy (such as the characters and phrases - "I have a bad feeling about this" and "may the force be with you") that fit really well into the movie and enhance it so much. They also bring in new concepts like not all heroes have to be male, heroes can also come in many forms, (like a former stormtrooper - which are no longer clones..?) and anyone can yield a lightsaber.

The script of this movie was awesome! None of the lines were painfully awkward or strange. Unlike the previous movies this had really great humor. The acting was amazing. I'm really happy they cast Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, they were both pretty unknown actors and this large franchise really allows them to bloom and have great exposure (which is extremely well deserved!). Daisy Ridley's character (Rey) is super likeable, and even though she is an independent woman she does not come off as bratty or annoying, which is really important when having a heroine. John Boyega was this mixture of a humorous, brave and loyal, but also strong. There is a sense that Finn and Rey might have a relationship that is more than just friends, but the focus is not on that, it is on the story and on the loyalty between friends which I think is very important and helps prevent the movie from being cliche.















And of course, how can I forget the actors from the original trilogy?? Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill, not to mention Peter Mayhew (who plays Chewie and is an incredible 7'2"!!) Han Solo and Chewie killed me! Han had so many good lines and a certain part of the movie destroyed me (if you've seen the movie and know what I mean).


All in all, I DEFINITELY recommend this movie if you haven't seen it already.

XOXO
CC

You can check out my other movie review here

No comments :

Post a Comment